Today project management is fast becoming a necessity for every business organization in all industries. So, the role of a project manager is gaining immense importance and is becoming a chosen career path among several young professionals. Those professionals who have taken up project manager roles usually have skills that can be utilized in all kinds of industries, right from IT to FMCG to other business services.
Project Manager skills
Every project undertaken by a business organization is very crucial as it requires leadership skills and expertise of the manager handling the particular project. Thus, the role of the project manager in aligning IT goals and business objectives and meeting timelines for completing the project is very crucial .There is a set of skills that are required to be possessed by him as he takes the lead in a project.
One of the primary skills required to be a successful project manager is strong communication and excellent organizational qualities. You should be able to handle multiple activities and tasks at the same time and have a clear understanding of the roles of various departments across the entire organization.
As you decide to become a project manager, you must try and get the correct education for the role. There is no specific degree or qualification that defines the role of a project manager. However, you do need to have some sort of specialization and training in the particular field that you wish to work in. Certification from the industry will lend you a competitive edge in getting the best jobs available in the profession.
Why is the Project Manager role so vital?
Here is a look at the various tasks that need to be undertaken by a project manager in executing a project:
- A project manager needs to establish the direction and execute the management of the entire project.
- She needs to clearly define, lay plans and manage the scope of the particular project for his entire team
- She needs to undertake a cost and time analysis with regards to the project. This includes creating a schedule, determining time-lines, distributing resources and budgeting .
- The project manager also needs to pay close attention to the various quality aspects of the project including the process itself. She has to set various parameters for quality measurement at regular intervals.
- A manager also needs to pay attention to the people working in his team by encouraging and motivating them from time to time so that everybody moves in the right direction.